Saturday 11 December 2010

.My Yarn Wreath.

Well, all of that wreath eye-candy paid off because look what I finished making this week...
I didn't think I would be so into using wool to make a wreath from, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE how it turned out!  I followed these instructions to cover the wreath and make the flowers, then hunted around online...Etsy, Flickr, etc to get a bit of inspiration for the rest of the decorations.
I wanted the wreath to look Christmasy so stole a few baubles from the tree to string across the middle.
I couldn't resist adding my signature and popping a few doilies on one side, balanced out by some crocheted lace on the opposite edge.  All of the flowers and leaves were made using felt and I used my trusty hot glue gun to stick everything into place.  It really was a very simple process.  Wrapping the wool around the wreath was quite time consuming, but once that was done it was loads of fun coming up with different ways to decorate it.  
I am almost tempted to go out and buy a few more wreaths (I used a foam wreath as my base) to hold onto for other holiday decorations.  We live on a main street and I think it would be cool to be known as the house with a different wreath up for each holiday!  I'm not sure how I feel about having a wreath on my door for day to day decoration though.  But who said a wreath has to go on the door anyway, I think it would look kind of cool hanging in a small wall space or maybe even in my studio...these wreaths are super cute...1, 2, 3 and 4.
Once I had finished making the wreath I realised that I hadn't given how it was going to hang to the door a thought!  Nails and holes were out of the question, so I took a length of organza ribbon and looped it through the wreath then stuck it to the top of the door with masking tape...so far, so good!  Hopefully it will last until the end of the year.    
It was quite refreshing to do some non-sewing craft.  Now I'm ready to get back into things though.  I've just finished sewing something for my brother in Japan but don't think I'll share until after Christmas because it turned out so well that the rest of the boys in my family might be receiving the same!  Next project will be the new Versatile Wrap skirt ready for the photo shoot on Saturday and new cushion covers for the couch cushions...then onto more Christmas presents and hopefully I'll sneak in preparations for a new pattern or two somewhere in there aswell!

12 comments:

Courtney @ Sweeter Than Cupcakes said...

I am a huge fan of yarn wreaths. Yours turn out lovely. I love it on your pretty door.

charlotte said...

This is awesome Toni! I love the colours! I want ed to make one, but when I went to spotlight in HObart they had run out of wreaths! maybe Burnie is the place to go???

Looks great, one for every holiday I say. xx

KnockKnocking said...

Thanks for the mention dear! Your turned out so beautifully and I LOVE your house! Cute as a button.

xo Agnes

Kathryn said...

oh I love that your garden in front even looks Christmas colour coordinated! I think I might be letting the boys help me with one of these wreaths! lovely!

Jill said...

wow your wreath looks so great .I love it, it matches your door perfectly. very cool

Melissa said...

Just LOVE LOVE LOVE the wreath. Looks brilliant!
Versatile wrap, couch cushions, christmas presents AND more patterns. All of this in just two measley weeks??? How do you manage it! I would be stoked with just making christmas presents!!

Bec said...

oh it turned out AWESOME!! And i LOVE seeing pictures of your house!! Your house is even painted Christmas colours!! You went ALL out this year... haha!! Your house looks Amazing...and we sold ours this week at Auction. So now i can relax for Christmas! xx

Clares Place said...

Looks fantastic Toni! Love the mix of materials used too!

Casey said...

it looks fantastic!

Anna said...

ooo, think we need a little house tour. :) Love the modern look. And your new dress is fabulous too.

Wendy @ Ramblings from the Sunshine State said...

Love it! I made one for Halloween but doubt I could get one made in time for Christmas. I love how you did the ornaments!

KristenB said...

Love the wreath!
Your house is totally cool too. =)

Related Posts with Thumbnails