Saturday 26 June 2010

.Tops for Lil.

It was only a matter of time before I sewed some of my doilies onto a top for Lil. I love how it turned out. The white doily was sewn on with the sewing machine but the pink and green ones were a little too "lacy" to hide the stitches so I hand sewed those down. Do you think I could get away with a top like this for myself?!!


I was browsing Flickr one night and was inspired by this cute top. I thought I could do something similar with some circles and hand stitching. When I started digging through my scraps though, I ended up choosing a heap of solid colours and loved the way they looked together. I played around with having the buttons sitting on different colours and it looked really funky but decided to go for a more subtle approach with the buttons hiding on similar coloured circles.



I often get people emailing me asking where I get my plain long-sleeved and short-sleeved tops from. All of mine come from Target or Kmart. Depending on where you live and how well stocked your store is will depend on how easily they are to come across. They seem to be around more often than they were a year or so ago though. Because we live in a country area, our stores are quite small and not well stocked. Every time I go shopping (which isn't very often!) I look out for plain tops and always buy two or three in various sizes or colours. Now I have a plain top drawer that is VERY well stocked ready to make tops for my kids or presents for friends.


Check out how big my baby girl is now!! She will be 3 in one month and every day seems to be that little bit older - much easier to get along with and reason with now and slowly emerging from her ratty 2-year old stage :)



P.S. I'm more than happy for you to use any of my applique ideas for your own personal use!

11 comments:

Sarah said...

Very cute Toni! Of course you could get away with one yourself, just watch the doily placement :)

Adding these and the applique ones for Tommy are a great way to cover stains too!

Emily said...

These are darling!

Unknown said...

Very very cute! She is adorable!

Anonymous said...

The are so sweet! I totally agree it is hard to find nice tops for little ones that aren't splashed with Dora etc.. I love the button one!! Jacinta B

Delightful Domestic Science said...

What about a doily bikini?!

Sarah said...

Lil is growing up so fast! These tops are gorgeous, so much nicer than anything store bought!

Sarah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nettie's Blog said...

hey Toni love the Doily work there...I have sewn the doillies on really quickly with out handswewing...this is how.. use double sided vizaflex and iron them into the place you want them... then cover the top with baking paper, pin the paper into place over the doily and sew away...tear off the baking paper after you finish ...they dont move and you can see throught the baking paper as you sew... happy sewing..love ya

Unknown said...

Hello Toni, both Lil and Tommy are growing up so quickly and their tops look great. Well I had to check twice the date on Lil's post. I knew the year was going fast, but not as fast as the date shows. he he he!!!!!

My first granddaughter will be 2 in September and is beginning the terrible two time. She is still lovely though, we have to firmer with her when we are babysitting and not laugh at her so much - it is very hard to keep a straight face sometimes.

Maryanne

Anonymous said...

love love love them! you could even get away with the buttons/circles for a boy...hmmmm, new project?! And it may have even been on your blog, but i saw someone cut doilies in half and sew one half at the neckline, sort of like a bib accent, it was really cute.

Melissa said...

Just love the one with the spots! Soooo cute!

Related Posts with Thumbnails