Wednesday 14 April 2010

.leather schmeather.

If you are into sewing you are bound to have a lot of bags. I have made myself many a bag over the years, mostly using Amy Butler bag patterns because they always suit my needs (big, easy access, slip over the pram, etc.) I have reached the point where I am ready for a change though...I still want to make myself a bag, but I want something a bit different. Something unique and not so much fabric.

I've had a design in my head for the last couple of months for a funky LEATHER bag. I have never sewn with leather before but I do have a leather foot for my sewing machine so I figure that I should just give it a go! Had no idea where to buy leather from though and sent out a few SOS emails and hunting online with not much luck, then a friend of my brother's and I were talking (she's that stunner on the front of the Shearwater Kaftan pattern) and she told me about a local leather store she bought some from recently to make a lampshade (sounds funky!). I finally got there yesterday and was so excited to find EXACTLY what I wanted. It is dark brown, thin and super soft and will get that nice crumpled look after a bit of wear. It is going to be lined with a cotton fabric and I sorted through my stash this morning and settled on this print from Amy Butler's Love collection. I'm thinking I'll need some kind of bag hardware to give it a bit of spunk so might pay a visit to this store...

I'll keep you updated...excited to be sewing something out of the ordinary!

6 comments:

Hope said...

You're so brave! Just getting my sewing machine out to hem pants or patching jeans stresses me out.

Wish I had the sewing knack but it's just not in my genes.

Love to see all your projects!

Hi, from Utah,
HOPE

Anonymous said...

Onwards and upwards Toni!!
Love Auntie Lorraine.
xxx

Rebecca said...

LOVE it...i also would love a soft leather bag....where was the shop?

Cass said...

Toni I'll be keeping a close eye on this as I've been contemplating a leather bag myself lately

Nikki said...

Cool. Can't wait to see the final product.

Little Munchkins said...

Ooooh, it sounds very interesting. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Related Posts with Thumbnails